Manager of Payroll and Human Resources
Drexel is a true Canadian success story, calling London, Ontario our home town since 2011.
We’re a wholesale distribution and third-party logistics (3PL) service provider with a strong core of strategic partners. Our specialties are retail and telecommunications distribution, and e‑commerce fulfilment. Drexel connects Canadian homes to products and services that make modern life possible.
Our partners include tier one brands such as Amazon, Bell, Best Buy, Canadian Tire, Costco, Home Depot, London Drugs, Lowes, Rogers, Staples and Walmart, to name just a few.
We offer all employees a safe, supportive working environment where everyone feels comfortable and valued in their jobs. As a Drexel employee you have the opportunity to develop your own potential, and we believe in promoting from within. We’re growing! And as we grow, we want our employees to grow too, by learning new skills and taking on new challenges.
Our philosophy is that our company is only successful when its employees are successful, and we want you to love coming to work. We encourage entrepreneurial spirit and reward loyalty and performance. We know our people are our biggest asset, and we’re always on the lookout for more energetic, motivated and committed people to join our team.
We look forward to meeting you!
Drexel is looking for a Payroll and Human Resources Manager to join our team.
Reporting to the CFO and working closely with the Director of Operations. Drexel Industries is the perfect role for an experienced Payroll and Human Resources professional who recognizes the Drexel way of setting the bar for quality and being leaders in acquiring, developing, and retaining top talent for our rapidly growing Wholesale Distribution and 3rd Party Logistics (3PL) business. The HR Generalist acts as a key enabler of our culture, purpose, and core values at Drexel Industries.
What you do in this role
- Design and implement HR programs, processes, and policies.
- Keep the company abreast of emerging employment-related legislation.
- Respond to employees’ queries and resolve concerns in a timely and professional manner.
- Build scalable professional development programs that aid in growing the team’s capabilities and promote career progression.
- Maintain up-to-date employee files ensuring new information or changes in employment status are added in a timely manner.
- Optimize and execute employee onboarding and offboarding procedures.
- Manage the development of our talent including; Design and implement effective training and development plans; Manage / Execute our performance review process.
- Make compensation recommendations based upon research to ensure fairness relative to contribution and the market.
- Keep a pulse on the most innovative people’s practices and have a desire to set a new bar in terms of how a company can treat its employees in a remote office environment.
- Contributes to the full cycle recruitment process, including preparing job postings/advertisements, job descriptions, developing interview questions and ensuring corporate hiring policies and procedures are followed. Screen resumes and conducts interviews.
- Implements best practices in order to attract and retain employees.
- Administers leave programs such as sick leave, short-term disability and leaves offered under the ESA.
- Administers WSIB processes, such as receiving accident reports, submitting WSIB forms, liaising with WSIB claims managers and third-party disability managers to identify early and safe return to work opportunities.
- Acts as the first point of contact for human resources and payroll related matters, such as, but not limited to recruitment, compensation, benefits, leaves, occupational health and safety, attendance management, policy/procedure interpretation and various employee relations issues.
- Creates and analyses reports related to recruitment, headcount, workforce planning, benefit costs, etc. making recommendations as necessary.
- Is the primary contact for employee benefits with Cooperators.
- Completes and maintains the entire payroll process in conjunction with ADP payroll services.
- Act as a champion for our culture and develop a productive environment that permeates through all levels and is focused on the needs of our people and consistent with our Leadership Values.
- Manage the Human Resources function to ensure that key HR initiatives are aligned with the warehouse operational strategy and ensure superior delivery of services for our people.
- Primary deliverables include tools and interventions in the areas of performance management, work environment practices, rewards and recognition, retention, leadership development, compensation, employee development and advancement, diversity and employee satisfaction.
- Provides advice and guidance in all Labour Relations matters, including grievance/dispute resolution, interpretation and all disciplinary matters.
- Ensure that Human Resources Key Performance Indicators such as Attendance, Turnover, Retention are tracked and monitored.
- Facilitate execution of warehouse operations and corporate programs (e.g. succession planning, orientation, safety and training).
- Develops and drives the execution of an annual HR Plan for the facility which focuses on the delivery of key Plant and Corporate HR initiatives.
- Administers the HR budget and ensuring effective control to ensure that spending is within budget.
- Drives Continuous Improvement initiatives related to the Human Resources function.
What you need to be successful
- Post-secondary education (diploma/degree) in HR or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years human resources experience, preferably in the distribution / 3PL sector.
- CHRP designation is strongly recommended.
- Full cycle recruiting experience required.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sound knowledge of HR and payroll legislation, including provincial employment standards
- Sound knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario and Workplace Safety and Insurance Act
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities
- 3+ years Payroll experience
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- High degree of confidentiality and discretion is a must
- Valid G license and own vehicle required.
- A well-developed HR Professional with a solid Generalist and Change Management background
- A proven track record of proactively managing the Labour/Management relationship.
- Passionate about coaching, mentoring and developing people to achieve positions of greater responsibility.
- Strong business and operational acumen particularly within 3rd party logistics.
- Demonstrated initiative, drive and leadership; excellent communication skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, possess the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong problem solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Dynamics NAV, and ADP Payroll Services.
- All candidates will be subject to a criminal history check, education verification, and reference checks.
Successful candidates will need to successfully complete the following clearances
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education Verification
What Drexel offers you as a team member
Drexel offers a comprehensive and competitive salary and benefits package.
- $65,000 plus, depending on experience.
- Benefits package including dental, prescription, extended health benefits, employee discounts.
|Job type:||Full-time, permanent|
|Hours:||Workdays, e.g., Monday to Friday, work hours, e.g., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.|
|Office address:||351 Eleanor Street, London, Ontario|
Sound like you? Here's how to apply
Please apply by emailing your resume and cover letter to Attn: Jason Salmon at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining Drexel, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Drexel team.
Your information was successfully submitted