Manager of Payroll and Human Resources
A Little About Us
Our customers rely on Drexel Industries – in a world where customers expect delivery of their orders instantaneously there has never been more critical time for our partners to rely on Drexel as an integral part of the supply chain. We bring the best suppliers, logistics, customers, and product manufacturers together to create one exceptional customer and user experience. Every day we help thousands of customers live their best lives through the strength, capacity and combined power of our network.
We say we’re better together, and we believe it’s the diverse mix of brilliant people that really makes us stand out. When you join our team, you’ll see we are so much more than just a company. Drexel connects you with opportunities, an incredible culture, career development and a great benefits package. We are a friendly, collaborative group, and we have a lot of fun finding new ways to delight our customers.
Join the Drexel team and come help shape the future!
Drexel Industries is the perfect role for an experienced Payroll and Human Resources professional who recognizes the Drexel way of setting the bar for quality and being leaders in acquiring, developing, and retaining top talent for our rapidly growing Wholesale Distribution and 3rd Party Logistics (3PL) business. The HR Generalist acts as a key enabler of our culture, purpose, and core values at Drexel Industries.
A Typical Day
- Completes and maintains the entire payroll process in conjunction with ADP payroll services (Teampay and EZlabour)
- Design and implement HR programs, processes, and policies.
- Manage the Joint Health and Safety committee
- Keep the company abreast of emerging employment-related legislation.
- Respond to employees’ queries and resolve concerns in a timely and professional manner.
- Build scalable professional development programs that aid in growing the team’s capabilities and promote career progression.
- Maintain up-to-date employee files ensuring new information or changes in employment status are added in a timely manner.
- Optimize and execute employee onboarding and offboarding procedures.
- Manage the development of our talent including; Design and implement effective training and development plans; Manage / Execute our performance review process.
- Make compensation recommendations based upon research to ensure fairness relative to contribution and the market.
- Keep a pulse on the most innovative people’s practices and have a desire to set a new bar in terms of how a company can treat its employees in a remote office environment.
- Contributes to the full cycle recruitment process, including preparing job postings/advertisements, job descriptions, developing interview questions and ensuring corporate hiring policies and procedures are followed. Screens resumes and conducts interviews.
- Implements best practices in order to attract and retain employees.
- Administers leave programs such as sick leave, short-term disability and leaves offered under the ESA.
- Administers WSIB processes, such as receiving accident reports, submitting WSIB forms, liaising with WSIB claims managers and third-party disability managers to identify early and safe return to work opportunities.
- Acts as the first point of contact for human resources and payroll related matters, such as, but not limited to recruitment, compensation, benefits, leaves, occupational health and safety, attendance management, policy/procedure interpretation and various employee relations issues.
- Creates and analyzes reports related to recruitment, headcount, workforce planning, benefit costs, etc. making recommendations as necessary.
- Is the primary contact for employee benefits with Cooperators.
- Act as a champion for our culture and develop a productive environment that permeates through all levels and is focused on the needs of our people and consistent with our Leadership Values.
- Manage the Human Resources function to ensure that key HR initiatives are aligned with the warehouse operational strategy and ensure superior delivery of services for our people.
- Primary deliverables include tools and interventions in the areas of performance management, work environment practices, rewards and recognition, retention, leadership development, compensation, employee development and advancement, diversity and employee satisfaction.
- Provides advice and guidance in all Labour Relations matters, including grievance/dispute resolution, interpretation and all disciplinary matters.
- Ensure that Human Resources Key Performance Indicators such as Attendance, Turnover, Retention are tracked and monitored.
- Facilitate execution of warehouse operations and corporate programs (e.g. succession planning, orientation, safety and training).
- Develops and drives the execution of an annual HR Plan for the facility which focuses on the delivery of key Plant and Corporate HR initiatives.
What you need to be successful
- Post-secondary education (diploma/degree) in HR or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years human resources experience, preferably in the distribution / 3PL sector.
- CHRP designation is strongly recommended.
- Full cycle recruiting experience required.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Sound knowledge of HR and payroll legislation, including provincial employment standards
- Sound knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario and Workplace Safety and Insurance Act
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities
- 3+ years Payroll experience
- Strong Interpersonal and customer service skills
- High degree of confidentiality and discretion is a must
- Valid G license and own vehicle required.
- A well-developed HR Professional with a solid Generalist and Change Management background
- A proven track record of proactively managing the Labour/Management relationship.
- Passionate about coaching, mentoring and developing people to achieve positions of greater responsibility.
- Strong business and operational acumen particularly within 3rd party logistics.
- Demonstrated initiative, drive and leadership; excellent communication skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, possess the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong problem solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced skills with ADP Payroll Services.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Dynamics NAV, and
- All candidates will be subject to a criminal history check, education verification, and reference checks.
What's In It for You
- Comprehensive and competitive salary
- Employee Benefits Program: Vision, Dental, Extended Healthcare, Life Insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Critical Illness, Long Term Disability and an Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Discounts
- Employee of the month Core Values initiative
- Team building events throughout the year
- Monthly birthday celebrations
- Continuous training and professional development
- Opportunity to work in a growing company
Refer-a-Friend Hiring Bonus
This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
We encourage all candidates with an interest in the position to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls or agencies, please.
For more information, please visit our website at www.drexel.ca At Drexel, we believe diversity and inclusion are integral to the continued growth and success of our entire company. We believe diversity and inclusion enhances our Company’s culture and creates a sense of belonging where people feel comfortable bringing their true selves to work. This in turn promotes innovation through harnessing the variety of experiences, thoughts, and perspectives our employees have to offer. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of race, gender, age, or any other identifying characteristic.
Sound like you? Here's how to apply
Please apply by emailing your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining Drexel, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Drexel team.
Your information was successfully submitted